Lancaster City Council is looking to recruit an ASB and Housing Solicitor/Lawyer to provide vital support to its housing teams on issues of ASB, housing management and private rented housing regulation and enforcement.
The role includes advising and assisting officers on housing related matters and will include:
- Advising the Council on its Housing standards regulation requirements and compliance
- Handling Housing ASB based possession and injunction cases.
- Advising our Housing Standards team on the regulation of private rented accommodation and HMOs
- Assisting with the enforcement of civil penalties in connection with private rented accommodation cases.
- Advocacy at Court and tribunal on housing ASB and Housing civil penalty cases
- Preparation of applications and pleadings ready for Court or Tribunal, carrying out research, work on disclosure and drafting statements.
We are looking for candidates who are:
- A qualified legal executive, solicitor, or barrister with experience in housing law and housing litigation, capable of managing your own caseload.
- A problem solver, working on a wide range of different case types including ASB, Leasehold, injunctions, and possession cases, offering advice on a wide range of topics to find the best solution for the customers and business.
- Negotiating out-of-court settlements, with an insight into court rules regarding costs, drafting and preparing court or tribunal documents, attending court proceedings where required.
- Knowledgeable / have experience in dispute resolution and offering dispute avoidance advice with a firm understanding of civil procedure rules and housing law.
- Capable of working independently yet effectively as part of a wider team.
- An effective communicator with robust interpersonal skills, able to interact successfully with colleagues, clients, and other stakeholders.
This post is temporary for 3 years. The hours of work for this position are 37 hours per week, working Monday to Friday. This post is based at Lancaster Town Hall with the option for hybrid working. It is not envisaged that this post holder will have to work evenings, weekends, or Bank Holidays, but if an emergency situation occurs then it may be necessary for the post holder to do this.
The Council currently operates an excellent Flexible Working Hours Scheme which applies to this post. Subject to the needs of this business, this may allow employees to work between the hours of 6:00am-10:30pm.
You will identify with our organisational values of Pride, Ownership, Working Together and Ambition.
Lancaster is a great place to work, as well as being part of something special you will also benefit from:
- Generous annual leave allowance
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- A range of employee benefits including discounted gym membership, cycle to work scheme, the opportunity to purchase extra time off, as well as discounts on days out, activities and retail.
Lancaster City Council has unanimously declared a climate emergency and will therefore work towards reducing carbon emissions to net-zero by 2030. As part of this role, you will be expected to participate and work towards reducing both carbon emissions and the impacts of climate change.
We are an Investor in People, Forces Friendly employer, and an Armed Forces Covenant committed organisation. We welcome applications from defence reserves and other members of our armed forces community. We are an inclusive employer and welcome applications from all parts of our community.
At Lancaster City Council we aim to have a diverse workforce that is representative of the district that we serve, and provide a working environment where each employee feels able to bring their whole self to work. We welcome applications from all sections of our community and provide several supportive and inclusive workplace networks and safe spaces for employees to feel connected. Our workplace wellbeing strategy drives our commitment to staff wellbeing initiatives and ensuring that our organisation is a great place to work for all.
We are a disability confident committed employer.
Please note that due to the volume of applications we receive we are unable to update all applicants individually. If you do not receive a response from us within 2 weeks of the closing date then your application will have unfortunately been unsuccessful in progressing to interview.